Sunday 5 October 2014

Homework

It's almost the end of day,but I hope I'm not late to do this homework. Lol.

For this week's assignment, Miss Sally told us to read an article 'Walk or cycle for a happier commute' from BBC News. She also wanted us to look up 2 phrases or words that are new or confusing for us.

Actually, I don't find any difficulties in understanding the article but I'd still write down some phrases which I think they are a little bit unfamiliar for me.

1. a necessary evil (idioms)

a thing that is bad or that you do not like but which you must accept for a particular reason

ex: The loss of jobs is regarded as a necessary evil in the fight against inflation.

2. face up to something (phrasal verbs)

 to accept and deal with something that is difficult or unpleasant 

ex: a. She had to face up to the fact that she would never walk again.
       b. You have to face up to your responsibilities.

I chose the Oxford Learner's Online Dictionary to look the words up. Personally, it is easier to use and you can also search the definition of idioms, phrasal verbs, not only the vocabularies. It is much better than the book one. It can save so much time because we just need to type the words we are looking up to, rather than turning the page one by one. I can easily understand the meaning of the word because it uses simple explanation and example. 

1 comment: